Black lentils, also known as Beluga lentils, hold their shape very well and don’t tend to get mushy once cooked.
Our Da Shan Jin Jun Mei smoked tea goes very well with this legume and brings out its dark color. Lentils are also delicious served cold as a salad.
- 960 ml of boiling water;
- 4 ½ teaspoons of black (red) tea leaves;
- 400 gr black lentils rinsed under running water;
- Approximately 790 g diced tomatoes, preferably blanched;
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt;
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper;
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, plus sprigs for garnish;
Pour the boiling water over the tea leaves, in a medium bowl, and keep them covered for 4 minutes, then strain. Add the lentils and tomatoes; bring to a simmer over high heat.
Lower the heat and cook, covered, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are well blended.
Let them rest covered for about 10 minutes. All the liquid should be absorbed. Stir by adding salt, pepper and cilantro or parsley and serve hot or at room temperature.