To be 100% vegan make sure the jam is only naturally sweetened.
- 60 g (1/4 cup) coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 230 ml (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or other vegetable-based milk)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 150 g (1 – 1/4 cups) ground almonds (almond flour)
- 150 g (1 – 1/4 cups) gluten-free flour mix (or light flour if not gluten-free)
- baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1-2 teaspoons of matcha tea powder as desired
For the strawberry frosting
- 400 g low-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam
- 200 g fresh fruit
- fresh mint
How to prepare this delicious Sponge Cake
For the cake
Preheat the oven to 180°.
Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt it.
Once melted, add the milk to the same bowl with the lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and chopped almonds.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and matchstick powder together. Mix well, adding a little extra milk if it seems too dry.
Transfer the mixture into two small greased baking tins lined with baking paper.
Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the cake rises, pierce with a skewer to check that the batter is dry. Once the oven is turned off, immediately remove the cakes from the tins and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
For the strawberry glaze
Make sure it is full-fat coconut milk, chill it in the fridge overnight, this way the mixture will separate from its liquid part. You only need the creamy part that will have settled at the bottom of the jar.
Place the thick, creamy mixture in a bowl, add the strawberry jam and use an electric whisk to whip the coconut cream until light and fluffy.
Once the sponge cakes have cooled completely, spread the strawberry icing between one and the other cake disc.
Decorate with fresh fruit and mint.